FOR POSSESSING FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
A non-immigrant alien is someone who is in the United States on a temporary basis, usually on a work, student, or tourist visa. Under the provisions of 27 CFR 178.97, non-immigrant aliens are PROHIBITED from receiving or possessing firearms and ammunition while in the United States UNLESS they are a citizen or national of the Visa Waiver Program (below) or meet any ONE of the below listed exceptions in section 922(y)(2) of the GCA.
• POSSES A HUNTING LICENSE or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian
tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired. The hunting license does not have to be from Texas. There are several on-line sites where a prospective hunter can get a license. Any state is fine as long as it is valid.
• Were admitted to the United States for LAWFUL HUNTING OR SPORTING PURPOSES.
• Is an OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT who is accredited to the United States Government or the
Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States.
• Are an OFFICIAL OF A FOREIGN GOVERNMENT OR ARE DESIGNATED AS A DISTINGUISHED FOREIGN VISITOR by the Department of State, or
• Are a FOREIGN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF A FRIENDLY FOREIGN GOVERNMENT entering the United States on official
law enforcement business.
• Has received A WAIVER issued by the Attorney General of the United States or Department of Justice and obtaining
approval under section 922(y)(3).